I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: February 2011
I started reading through the book of Hosea the other morning in my devotional time, and something jumped out at me right off the bat. The first chapter opens by saying in :2, “When the Lord first spoke THROUGH Hosea, the Lord said TO Hosea …” and … Continue reading
Did you catch the sad interview on the news the other evening, when former Philadelphia Phillies baseball manager Dallas Green was asked about the death of his granddaughter in the recent Tucson shooting rampage? The multiple deaths were, of course, tragic in and of themselves. … Continue reading
“Wow!” the nurse practitioner exclaimed as she listened to my lungs. I was actually somewhat gratified to get some kind of response — you know, that it was truly worthy of a trip to the clinic at 10:30 at night! I mentioned … Continue reading
Some assorted notes while I am up with jet lag … Pretty much all of the team had jet lag while we were over in India, waking up at 3:00 or 4:00 every morning, being up for a couple of … Continue reading
For a one word summary, I guess “wow” would do … We had the most incredible day at the Pastors & Leaders Conference hosted by our partner pastor in India, Sanjay Charan. When all the ladies in the hall left early for lunch, … Continue reading
I usually suffer a “Sunday hangover” on Mondays after I have preached on Sunday in the States, and I am here to report that it is no different in India! I had to drag myself out of bed — I … Continue reading