I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: March 2011
Robert E. Lee was impressive in many different ways. General Wilcox, having met Lee for the very first time, wrote: “I was much impressed with his fine appearance, either on horse or on foot … the handsomest man in the army.” … Continue reading
(There is a revised and expanded version of this message available here, preached at First Baptist, Pauls Valley, OK 7-13-14) The other day, as I was getting out of my car, I saw that I had a can of Coke in the … Continue reading
A few days ago, someone gave us another king size bed – for which we were very grateful! – but it became an occasion for some re-arranging at our house. We ended up putting our old king-sized mattress in Michael’s garage bedroom – along … Continue reading
Although I haven’t heard the song since my college years, I can still “hear” the group enthusiastically singing the chorus: “Which side are you on, boys, which side are you on? Which side are you on, boys, which side are … Continue reading
A week ago Friday, I had been sleeping in, since it was my day off, when Cheryl came in and said to me, “There has been an earthquake in Japan.” From the other room, I could hear the news, reporting … Continue reading
I had not intended to write a blog this evening, or about this evening, but I felt compelled to do so. Tonight at 6:30 we had the Missions Banquet at our church, First Baptist Moss Bluff. Matching our conference theme, … Continue reading