I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: August 2011
Habakkuk 3:1-2 A Song of Wrath and Mercy 8-21-11 This week one of our church members reminded me the story of Stuart Hamblen, the songwriter who had lived a life of drinking and partying, but who was saved through the ministry of Billy Graham, … Continue reading
At The Response, the prayer gathering attended by 32,000-plus in Houston a few days ago, most of the event was spent in some kind of prayer. There were no “sermons” as such, although periodically, a preacher or recognized figure would … Continue reading
Psalm 37:4 “Delight Yourself in the Lord” 8-14-11 p.m. Years ago, Corrie Ten Boom wrote, “Look around, you’ll be distressed. Look within, you’ll be depressed. Look to the Lord, you’ll be at rest.” From all of her experiences, she ought to … Continue reading
Habakkuk 2:9-20 “The Lord Is In His Holy Temple” 8-14-11 a.m. A couple of weeks ago, when we studied Habakkuk 2:4, we talked about how Job, when he had endured so much, asked God questions for which he never really received … Continue reading
It was August 2004, and like children all over the country right now, our kids were getting ready to go back to school. Our oldest, Paul, was going to be taking his first classes at McNeese State University in Lake Charles. … Continue reading
In one of my very favorite movies, “Chariots of Fire”, the great British runner Harold Abrahams is asked if he enjoys running. He responds, “I am more of an addict.” I fall probably somewhere in between those two categories. Sometimes I … Continue reading