I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Peace Be With You"
- "Do Not Be Unbelieving"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "Pressing On To Know the Lord" (Hosea 6:3 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: October 2011
I Corinthians 13:5 Have you ever taken a look in the mirror and exclaimed, “Oh, my! I didn’t think I looked that bad!”? Sometimes we feel like we look one way – when the truth is far different. And as … Continue reading
I Corinthians 13:4 Several years ago, in the weeks leading up to Valentines Day, 2nd graders in the Lake Charles area were asked, “What is love?” One wrote: “Love is when you are in love. When you are in it, somebody … Continue reading
Psalm 94 The other day, Michael said, “Dad, Sunday morning is kind of your ‘main sermon’, isn’t it?” I said, “Yeah, it really is; I think it is the most important thing I do each week.” He said, “So … Continue reading
I Corinthians 13:4b Last year, in Santa Cruz, California, a family went on an outing together at a state park close nearby. They made tacos, including mushrooms they had picked at the park – but unfortunately, the mushrooms were … Continue reading
I was witness to two different kinds of knowledge today – or perhaps more accurately: a display of one kind of knowledge, and the complete lack of another! When Michael came to my office following school this afternoon, I asked the perfunctory … Continue reading