I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: January 2012
George MacDonald was a Scottish poet and theologian who lived and wrote in the 1800’s. His poignant writings were a great influence on J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and many others. MacDonald wrote the following on the importance of obedience: “Simply … Continue reading
In Here I Stand, Roland Bainton’s biography of Martin Luther, he tells of how Luther, as a young monk, was to lead in his first Communion. Luther was terrified. He said: “At these words I was utterly stupefied and terror-stricken. … Continue reading
“And he said, ‘I beseech Thee, show me Thy glory.’” Exodus 33:18 Known as “The Prince of Preachers”, and deservedly so, yet even Charles Spurgeon exhausts his vocabulary attempting to convey an adequate picture of the glory of God. At one … Continue reading
Mark Chapters 1-2 “Some Marks of a Biblical Ministry” One of the things that should differentiate a Christian church from other kinds of groups and religious organizations is that it should be marked by a ministry that is Biblical. As Christians, … Continue reading
Psalm 103:19 “Our Sovereign God” Centuries ago, King Canute was one of the most powerful kings of England ever – but he also knew his limits. Canute reigned over what is now England, Denmark, and much of Europe, and as … Continue reading
Genesis 2:7-8 Trusting the Potter’s Hands Sometimes we hear people speak of someone as being a “self-made man.” I know what they mean when they say that: that the person they are talking about did not begin life with … Continue reading