I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: June 2012
Highlights from this week in the “paradise” we call the pastor’s home include some humorous moments from watching the Southern Baptist Convention, and an embarrassing incident from our trip to Houston for my doctor’s appointment. Family In The Spotlight Since I was not able to … Continue reading
“By The Time I Get To Houston” … I could probably finish that old song a number of ways, actually. By the time I get to Houston for my appointment at Baylor Hospital: … I may be a bit nervous … Continue reading
Yes, another week in “Paradise” – otherwise known as the pastor’s home – has gone by, “like sands in the hourglass”. Several of the stories this week have to do with the seemingly ubiquitous power outages in Southwest Louisiana, as … Continue reading
German Just back from church camp last week, Michael began his summer “school”: Rosetta Stone German, Level 1. It took just a few minutes to set up, and he was off and running with it. The first day’s lesson was … Continue reading
Chesterton’s classic book is a gold mine of illustrations and quotes. Following are some I gleaned from my recent reading, arranged in alphabetical order – with my favorite “Laugh Out Loud” lines from the book at the end! Balance Man must … Continue reading