I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: July 2012
In Psalm 27:8, God commands David: “Seek My face.” What does it mean to seek God’s face? We get a hint earlier in the Psalm, where in verse 4 David says that the one thing he desires more than anything … Continue reading
Pow … Bam … Zap! I omitted a story from last week’s “Paradise” that Cheryl thought was too good to pass over. It comes from my last doctor’s appointment. I have had some random, but pretty sharp pains in my … Continue reading
One of my favorite stories from the Civil War happened in a battle when a New York regiment was coming under heavy fire from the Confederate line. The colonel of an adjoining regiment came over to tell the leader of … Continue reading
Genesis 32:24 says, “Then Jacob was left alone.” Verse 23 says that he had just sent his wives and children and flocks and everything else that he had, across the Jabbok River into the Promised Land, where he was awaiting … Continue reading
In reading Proverbs 15:14 I noticed a most interesting parallel. If you are familiar with Proverbs, you know that most of the book is composed of verses of wisdom which are presented in the form of parallelism: comparing or contrasting … Continue reading
Psalm 27:4 says “One thing I have asked of the Lord, that I shall seek …”. Notice the two important phrases here: “I have asked …” and “I shall seek”. Each of these actions is important, and necessary in its own … Continue reading