I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: December 2012
Originally posted on shawnethomas:
I was really looking forward to my Friday off: after a pretty hectic start to the new year, I had a stress-free day with nothing planned! Unfortunately someone marred the middle of it with a really despicable act.…
I Timothy 4:5 says that all food is allowed to be eaten “For it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.” The order here is not accidental, and not without importance. Notice that the WORD comes … Continue reading
In Exodus 7:3 God told Moses: “But I will harden Pharaoh’s heart that I may multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt.” This verse tells us that there are at least some occasions when God allows … Continue reading
One day this Christmas season, I was supervising Michael while he put the silver garland around our tree. He exclaimed, as he came across a previously undiscovered and unopened box of tinsel as well. I hollered into the kitchen, where … Continue reading