I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Written That You May Believe
- "America's Verse" -- "Judge Not" (Matthew 7:1-5 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Consecration Today For Wonders Tomorrow (Joshua 3:5 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: January 2013
Just before the Exodus of His people from Egypt, God commanded in Exodus 13 that when they came to the land of promise, they were to devote every first born thing to the Lord as a sacrifice. There was one … Continue reading
Psalm 103:2 says: “forget none of His benefits.” Forgetting is one of our biggest spiritual problems. Israel was constantly cited for forgetting God, forgetting His blessings, etc. We do the same thing, of course.
Instead of praying the same things over and over for those we care about, it is good for us to use scripture to guide our intercessions. I Timothy 4:12 is one of those verses we can use profitably in our … Continue reading
Many of us make resolutions about our physical diet as a new year begins, but what about your spiritual diet? I Timothy 4:6-7 contains quite a contrast: :6 adjures us to be “constantly nourished on the words of the faith … Continue reading