I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: June 2013
Genesis 35:1 says: “Then God said to Jacob, ‘Arise, go up to Bethel and live there, and make an altar there to God, who appeared to you when you fled from your brother Esau.’” God commanded Jacob to move, and … Continue reading
In Psalm 119:14 the Psalmist proclaims: “I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies as much as in all riches.” That is quite a statement about his commitment to the word of God. I wonder how many of us … Continue reading
One of my favorite scenes from the movie world is from the Christmas classic: “A Christmas Story”, when little Ralphie discovers the BB gun which his father had bought him for Christmas. The dad watches with delight as Ralphie opens … Continue reading
In Psalm 31:14-15, David says: “I say You are my God, my times are in Your hand.” Here David exhibits a trust in the Lord despite the enemies which the earlier part of the Psalm referred to. Verse 15 exhibits … Continue reading
Exodus 39:43 says: “And Moses examined all the work and behold, they had done it; just as the Lord had commanded, this they had done. So Moses blessed them.” There are several applications here regarding leadership and accountability, both in … Continue reading
Psalm 31 opens in :1 with the words, “In You, O Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be ashamed.” One of the features of Psalm 31 is the repeated, personal nature of David’s cry for deliverance, and his … Continue reading
Following are quotations and potential sermon illustrations from Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables. They are arranged in alphabetical order by topic. Page numbers are from Charles Wilbour’s translation, A.L. Bert Publishers. With this most recent update (7-14-13) selections cover the entire … Continue reading