I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "Peace Be With You"
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Do Not Be Unbelieving"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Pressing On To Know the Lord" (Hosea 6:3 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "Our Omnipresent God" (Psalm 139:7-10)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: July 2013
I Samuel 7:10 says: “The Lord thundered with a great thunder on that day against the Philistines and confused them, so that they were routed before Israel.” There are times in scripture when it seems that God does enough of … Continue reading
FAT LIP One night last week, we had “Fat Lip” for dinner. Yeah there’s a story behind it … when our son David was little, he would ask Cheryl what we were having for dinner, and without fail, whatever it … Continue reading
In I Samuel 7:3, during a message to the people of Israel, Samuel describes what repentance is. He says: “If you return to the Lord with all your heart, remove the foreign gods and the Ashtaroth from among you and … Continue reading
I shared previously (see here) about my visit in June to Dr. Naeem Tahirkili in Oklahoma City, the changes he made in my medications, and how after the first few days I was already doing very well. With over a … Continue reading
Many Christians (especially Baptists) are fond of claiming “once saved always saved”, and there is truth in that statement. Those who are genuinely saved will indeed never lose it. But many misinterpret that teaching to mean that anyone who makes … Continue reading
Hebrews 4:7 tells us: “He again fixes a certain day, ‘Today,’ saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before, ‘Today if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts’”. God has fixed a … Continue reading
Psalm 35:1 opens: “Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight with me.” The key principle taught here is: let GOD do your fighting for you.