I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: October 2013
Psalm 110:1 opens: “The LORD says to my Lord: ‘Sit at My right hand, until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.’” As Jesus makes clear in the New Testament (Matthew 22:41-46) this is a Messianic Psalm — … Continue reading
Psalm 109:17 shows us “two sides of the coin” of sin, both sins of “commission” and of “omission”: “He also loved cursing, so it came to him. And he did not delight in blessing, so it was far from him”. … Continue reading
I read Don Whitney’s Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health for a small-group class on Sunday mornings at Trinity Baptist in Norman this year. I understand that it has been used for some time by several ministers and in … Continue reading
Psalm 108:13 says: “Through God we shall do valiantly, and it is HE who shall tread down our enemies.” As important as the truth in this verse is about having our hope and trust in God, it should not be … Continue reading
AN OLD JOKE Cheryl & I went over to my sister’s apartment to change some light bulbs that had burned out. When we got back, Michael walked into the room and greeted us with: “How many parents does it take … Continue reading
I Samuel 23:26 sounds like a scene right out of an action movie: David is on one side of a mountain, and Saul and his army on the other, in hot pursuit! But just when things are about to come … Continue reading