I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: November 2013
Psalm 119:104 says: “From Your precepts I get understanding, therefore I hate every evil way.” Psalm 97:10 admonishes us: “Hate evil, you who love the Lord.” One of the salient problems of God’s people in every age is that we … Continue reading
Psalm 111:1 says: “Praise the Lord! I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart, in the company of the upright and in the assembly.” Here we find several truths about thanksgiving: — “I will give thanks …” … Continue reading
In Psalm 119:108 the Psalmist prays: “O accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me Your ordinances.” In Old Testament times, the people of Israel were commanded to offer a number of different offerings: the lamb … Continue reading
Psalm 119:65 is a verse which all of God’s saints can bear witness to; there is not one who cannot: “You have dealt well with Your servant, O LORD, according to Your word.” — Those who currently feel satisfied with … Continue reading
The holidays are upon us, and so Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping — and of course football! — are the focus of “The Little Condo” this week. Cheryl & I began our Christmas shopping one day last week, and we made a … Continue reading
In I Samuel 28:16 “Samuel said, ‘Why then do you ask me, since the LORD has departed from you and has become your adversary?’” The background to that unusual verse is that Saul had sought God in :6 of this … Continue reading