I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: January 2014
In II Samuel 9:7 King David told Jonathan’s crippled son Mephibosheth: “Do not fear, for I will surely show kindness to you for the sake of your father Jonathan …”. “Do not fear” was an appropriate admonition, for Mephibosheth was … Continue reading
Psalm 2:1 asks: “Why are the nations in an uproar, and the peoples devising a vain thing?” The Psalmist here asks “WHY” the nations are in rebellion against God, when the last word of :1 (in Hebrew, the word “riq”) … Continue reading
II Samuel 9:1 says: “Then David said, ‘Is there yet anyone left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan’s sake?’” As this story begins, which would culminate with King David taking the crippled son … Continue reading
Psalm 1:2 says of the godly man: “But his delight is in the Law of Yahweh, and in His Law he meditates day and night.” It is significant that this very first Psalm sets the tone that it is the … Continue reading
Psalm 1:2 says of the man whom :1 declared blessed for avoiding the ways of the world: “But his delight is in the LAW of YHWH, and in His LAW he meditates day and night.” This is an example of … Continue reading
Some of my favorite quotes, and potential sermon illustrations from McGrath’s 2013 biography of Lewis. These are in order as they appeared in the book: TRAIN UP A CHILD “Both brothers inhabited imaginary worlds, and committed something of these to … Continue reading