I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: February 2014
In Colossians 1:9 Paul wrote: “For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask …”. Here Paul was declaring the faithfulness and consistency that he (and evidently … Continue reading
In Colossians 1:2 Paul greets his readers with “Grace to you and peace.” It is significant that it is GRACE that Paul prays for his readers. GRACE is the keynote of the Christian message. Think about it: he does not … Continue reading
In II Samuel 16:5-8 the man Shimei made accusations against David that were hurtful, but groundless — and David’s gracious response should be instructive to us:
Psalm 4:6 says: “Many are saying, ‘Who will show us any good?’ Lift up the light of Your countenance upon us, O LORD.” Where is good to be found? The Psalm says, this is what everyone is asking: what good … Continue reading
In Psalm 4 we find the command: “Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and trust in the LORD.” In what was another difficult situation of David’s in Psalm 4 (:2 says his honor had become a reproach to men, and in … Continue reading
There were several very noble and courageous sentiments expressed by David and others when King David left Jerusalem during Absalom’s rebellion. One of them came from Ittai, a foreigner (:19) who refused to stay in Jerusalem with the new king, … Continue reading
Tim Keller has defied conventional wisdom by planting Redeemer Church — a growing, evangelical fellowship — in the unlikely ground of Manhattan, New York. In the course of his work, he has engaged thousands of lost people and their questions … Continue reading