I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: May 2014
In I Kings 18 Elijah was very bold with his challenge to the prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel. God answered by fire — but will He always do such things? In :36 Elijah prays: “Today let it be known … Continue reading
I Kings 18 tells the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel. In :21 Elijah speaks to the people of Israel and says: “How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If YHWH is God, follow … Continue reading
I Kings :17-24 relates the story of Elijah and the death of the widow’s son. This was undoubtedly a test of faith: — for the woman, certainly. She had submitted to Elijah’s request for food and lodging, in the midst … Continue reading
In Psalm 10:17 David writes, “O LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will strengthen their heart, You will incline Your ear.” Near the end of a Psalm in which he has been entreating God for answers … Continue reading
In I Kings 17:1 the prophet Elijah first appears on the scene in Israel, and his first message to the king of Israel is of a drought in the land. But notice what Elijah says: “As YHWH, the God of … Continue reading
In Colossians 3:5 the Apostle Paul uses striking language to address how followers of Christ should deal with certain sins. He says, “Put to death the members (things) which are upon the earth: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, … Continue reading
In I Kings 16 we see a picture of how wickedness compounds. It never remains as it is, but left unchecked will always go from bad to worse: