I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: August 2014
Ezra 1:1 gives us a “doctrine in a nutshell” for what we believe about scripture: “Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah …”. … Continue reading
Ezra 1:1 begins with a reminder that God’s purposes are always fulfilled: “Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah, the Lord stirred up … Continue reading
In Acts 1:24-25, the disciples, seeking God’s direction for a man to fill the apostleship vacated by Judas, prayed: “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which of these two You have chosen to occupy this ministry … Continue reading
It is no accident that David opens Psalm 18:1 by saying, “I love You, O Lord my strength.” His love for Yahweh was the first and most important thing in his life — and should be in ours as well.
(Preached 8-24-17 at First Baptist Pauls Valley, OK) For years before his death in 2013, Pat Summerall broadcast NFL games on television. Many of you would recognize his voice to this day. Some of you also know that Summerall’s life … Continue reading
In light of I Peter 2:2’s command to “long for the pure milk of the word, that by it you may grow in respect to salvation”, one might ask if spending time in the Bible should be considered to be … Continue reading