I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: February 2015
Proverbs 2:11-13 contains a great Biblical prayer to pray for younger loved ones, like teenaged & college students, and younger adults: “Discretion will guard you, understanding will watch over you, to deliver you from the way of evil, from the … Continue reading
People seem to think that they can respond to God whenever they feel like it, but scripture points to an opposite reality. Proverbs 1:28 says, “Then they will call on me and I will not answer; they will seek me … Continue reading
Many people claim to be “a friend of God”, but the Bible indicates that number may be far fewer in actuality. Psalm 25:14 says, “The secret of the LORD is for those who fear Him, and He will make known … Continue reading
After a brief introduction to the book, the wisdom of Proverbs begins in earnest in verse 10: “My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent.” It is no coincidence that the first word of wisdom given after the introduction … Continue reading
We know who wrote the Book of Proverbs; verse 1 says they are the “proverbs of Solomon the son of David, King of Israel.” But who are they written FOR? Verses 4 & 5 give us the answer:
Job 42:10 contains an interesting detail regarding Job’s restoration by God after his trial. It says: “YHWH restored the fortunes of Job when he prayed for his friends.” Those last words may hold an important key to our own restoration … Continue reading