I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: April 2015
Christianity is all about sharing truth — most of the time. But there are times when we should just keep our mouths closed. Proverbs 23:9 indicates one of those times: “Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for … Continue reading
Was Jesus Christ the Son of God, or man? The answer of traditional orthodox Christianity is: BOTH! The witness of the scriptures affirms this truth. One of these scriptures is Romans 1:3-4, “Who was born a descendant of David according … Continue reading
They don’t include any kind of “instruction manual” for raising your child when they send you home from the hospital with your baby. Thankfully, God’s word gives parents the instructions they need, in places like Proverbs 22:15, which reads: “Foolishness … Continue reading
(Preached 4-26-15, Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church, Morganton, NC) For years before his death in 2013, Pat Summerall broadcast NFL games and other sporting events on television. Many of you would recognize his voice to this day. Some of you also … Continue reading
“The sluggard says, ‘There is a lion outside; I will be killed in the streets.’” (Proverbs 22:13) The Book of Proverbs contains a number of character studies, which describe different kinds of people we encounter — or perhaps ourselves! Among … Continue reading