I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Farewell to Our Church Family
- The God They Didn’t Warn You About!
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- “The Questions of Moses” (Exodus 3:10-4:1 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- God Doesn't "Owe" You Anything!
- "This Is My Story: The Philippian Jailer" (Acts 16:25-34 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: June 2015
Although animals have many good qualities, and many of us have been blessed by their faithfulness and labor, there are some ways in which we are not to be like them. Psalm 32:9 admonishes: “Do not be as the horse … Continue reading
(Preached at Pleasant Ridge Baptist, Morganton, NC 6-28-15) It has been a very disappointing week for Bible-believing Christians, the Supreme Court decision to legalize same-sex marriage at the top of the list. But we have much to be thankful for … Continue reading
Christians in America have been dismayed by many recent events in our country, the Supreme Court decision regarding same-sex marriage prominent among them. It is easy to feel overwhelmed by what seems to be an unrelenting tide of ungodliness, and … Continue reading
“Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools …” (Ecclesiastes 5:1) Here is a good word for many of us: when we draw … Continue reading