I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: January 2016
“Then He will speak to them in His anger, and terrify them in His fury.” (Psalm 2:5) Many people today have a woefully inadequate view of God. Some consider Him to be soft and lenient, like a doting grandfather who … Continue reading
In verses 8-9 of II Corinthians 4, Paul lists a series of contrasts. He said that he and his ministry partners were: “afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but … Continue reading
Well we are just about dug out of “Snow-mageddon 2016” here in our “Little Cottage In The Foothills.” I haven’t heard the official total on how many inches of snow we received, but the rain gauge at the “Little Cottage” … Continue reading
In II Corinthians 4:7, the Apostle Paul speaks of “the surpassing greatness of the power” that is in the life of a Christian, even though in and of themselves they are merely an “earthen vessel.” In other words, God manifests … Continue reading
“But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves” (II Corinthians 4:7) Why is it that God often allows those of us in His service … Continue reading
I have never watched “Mythbusters”, the iconoclastic Discovery Channel show which tests the veracity of popular urban legends — but I felt like I was in the midst of a Christian history version of the show as I read Rodney … Continue reading