I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: May 2016
“The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house” (Matthew 7:25, 27) It should be instructive to us that the words quoted above are found in BOTH Matthew 7:25 AND 7:27. “The rain fell, … Continue reading
“Greater love has no one than this: that one lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:13) Often when a soldier gives his life in battle, it is said that he made “the ultimate sacrifice.” Humanly speaking, that is … Continue reading
“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.” (Matthew 7:15) Having just admonished His disciples to enter by the narrow way to heaven (:13-14) Jesus now warns against false prophets. These … Continue reading
“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to … Continue reading
“He touched her hand, and the fever left her; and she got up and waited on Him.” (Matthew 8:15) It is one thing to tell someone “Thank you!” for a deed done on your behalf — it is another thing … Continue reading
“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the prophets.” (Matthew 7:12) The word “therefore” in Jesus’ familiar “Golden Rule” verse is very significant. It lets us know … Continue reading
In 1939 Dietrich Bonhoeffer was one of the leading Christian preachers and teachers in Germany — but the country had been taken over by Adolph Hitler, and the noose of his control was beginning to tighten over the country. Soon … Continue reading