I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "Peace Be With You"
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Do Not Be Unbelieving"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "Pressing On To Know the Lord" (Hosea 6:3 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "Our Omnipresent God" (Psalm 139:7-10)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: September 2016
“See to it that no one misleads you.” (Matthew 24:4) Jesus’ disciples had just asked Him in :3, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the … Continue reading
“Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him. And He said to them, ‘Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, … Continue reading
“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.” (Matthew 23:37) These … Continue reading
Alexander Whyte (1836-1921) was considered by many of his contemporaries to be the greatest preacher in Scotland of his day. His book, Lord Teach Us To Pray, consists of a number of sermons on prayer from a variety of scripture … Continue reading
(Preached at Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church, 9-25-16) Some time ago I read an interesting article on what the author considered to be the greatest love stories of all time in history and literature. There were many familiar stories listed: Shakespeare’s Romeo and … Continue reading
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting … Continue reading