I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer: Praying For God's Will (Matt. 6:10 Sermon)
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: May 2012
“Once I remember walking with a prosperous publisher, who made a remark which I had often heard before; it is, indeed, almost a motto of the modern world. Yet I had heard it once too often, and I saw suddenly … Continue reading
This is a special edition of “This Week In Paradise”, because it was 30 years ago today that Cheryl & I were married: May 28th, 1982. Of course, being a pastor and pastor’s wife, we have not had any difficulties … Continue reading
Following are the latest stories from inside this pastor’s home, from the week of May 20-26 … Potty Training Our neighbor across the street is potty training her little boy, and she was having trouble with it, so she posted … Continue reading
The other day someone asked me how I was doing. I wish I had given this answer from Charles Spurgeon’s sermon on Psalm 90:1. Whether I am sick or well, preaching or homebound, joyous or depressed, prognosis better or worse, … Continue reading
I received a call from my doctor’s office yesterday, and his assistant began the conversation by saying, “The doctor said he was thinking about your situation all night last night, and …” – and quite frankly, it really doesn’t matter … Continue reading
I have not driven my car in 4 weeks. I have not been to my office at church in that same 4 weeks. Other than doctors’ appointments and my daughter’s graduation, I have not been “out” much in 4 weeks. I … Continue reading