I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Peace Be With You"
- "Do Not Be Unbelieving"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "Pressing On To Know the Lord" (Hosea 6:3 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Monthly Archives: September 2012
In Mark 12:44 Jesus said the poor widow gave “out of her poverty”. This is surely a landmark teaching, for if Jesus had not spoken this, we might all still believe that those who gave the largest amounts were the … Continue reading
I am often apologized to by spouses of people who are suffering from an illness, and who have not been to church for some time because they have been caring for their husband or wife. I always assure them that … Continue reading
Proverbs 19:24 gives us a grotesque picture: “The sluggard buries his hand in the dish, but will not even bring it back to his mouth.” It is a disgusting thought indeed — but it may hit closer to home than … Continue reading
There is a lesson in Proverbs 19:19 which can be hard to apply. It says: “A man of great anger will bear the penalty; for if you rescue him, you will only have to do it again.” This passage is … Continue reading
Big news in “Paradise” this week, with the much-anticipated announcement that pretty much overshadowed everything else: our first grandchild is on the way! (I’ll still give you everything else anyway. Well, almost everything! 😉 So That’s News? Monday I was … Continue reading