I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- Prayer For A Backslider
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: worship
“Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.” (Psalm 95:2) It is not unusual to hear a worship leader ask the Lord to come and be with us, or some such similar … Continue reading
I have heard several people this week say that they are looking forward to the cooler weather that is coming in at the end of the week, and fall — and Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of … Continue reading
It is most helpful whenever God defines terms for us in scripture. Hebrews 1:14 is an example of that, as it gives us a Biblical definition of angels: “Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for … Continue reading
“Beware!” If you are out driving, and you come across a sign in the road that says “Beware!”, you are going to pay attention, and proceed very carefully, aren’t you? And you should. You know there is something dangerous ahead, … Continue reading
“It was the Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.” (John 11:2) What is it that are you known for? Sometimes we are known by others for being … Continue reading
The yellow footprints you see are scattered all over our Marine Corps Recruit Depots in San Diego and in Parris Island. In the early stages of a Marine recruit’s time at the training base, these footprints show the young Recruits … Continue reading