I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- The Intercessor-Guardian
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- Poem: "I Walked A Mile With Pleasure"
- "This Is My Story: Cornelius The Centurion" (Acts 10 Sermon)
- "The Purpose of God's Blessings" (Psalm 67 sermon)
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer (Part 1) "Begin With Praise"
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: hypocrisy
“Beware!” If you are out driving, and you come across a sign in the road that says “Beware!”, you are going to pay attention, and proceed very carefully, aren’t you? And you should. You know there is something dangerous ahead, … Continue reading
“Now he said this, not because he was concerned about the poor, but because he was a thief, and as he had the money box, he used to pilfer what was put into it.” (John 12:6) It doesn’t take long … Continue reading
“The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it, that its deeds are evil.” (John 7:7) Jesus told His unbelieving brothers here that the world “hated” Him. Why? Specifically, He said, because He told them … Continue reading
“You shut off the Kingdom of Heaven from people.” (Matthew 23:12) The harshest words Jesus spoke here on earth were not directed to the immoral or to heretics, but were for the religious hypocrites He condemned in Matthew 23. He … Continue reading
“… but do not do according to their deeds, for they say things and do not do them.” (Matthew 23:3) In Matthew 23 Jesus reserves His harshest words anywhere in scripture for the scribes and Pharisees. He repeatedly calls them … Continue reading