Exodus 16 opens in :1 by saying that it was “the fifteenth day of the second month” – i.e., about 6 weeks into the journey of the people of Israel in the Exodus. It is notable that the chapter goes on to say that it was then that the people began to grumble. The journey was not new anymore by that time, the initial “excitement” had worn off, and it was becoming a “grind” already. I believe there is a “heads’ up” in this passage for many of us:
“The fifteenth day of the second month” is often when we get tested – not necessarily that exact number of days, but after some time has passed since we got a special assurance from God, or the “high” of the “revival” or the camp has worn off, when we get home and back into the nitty gritty, every day grind of life. In that time of testing, are we going to remember the lessons we previously learned, or in “the fifteenth day of the second month” are we going to lose our faith and start grumbling, like they did?
I don’t know how far you are into your latest spiritual journey, but if the “luster” of what God last told you has worn off, and you are tempted to doubt or grumble, then keep the faith! It may be “the fifteenth day of the second month” for you!
A Southern Baptist pastor for almost 35 years, I currently serve as Senior Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Angleton, Texas, and post my weekly sermons here. I am grateful to see these messages read in countries around the world, and pray that God will use His word to help individuals to walk with Him daily, and churches to glorify Him with their worship and obedience.
Top Posts & Pages
- "The Example of Joseph" (Matthew 1:18-25 sermon)
- “Immanuel: God With Us” (Matthew 1:23 sermon)
- "He Will Save His People From Their Sins" (Matthew 1:21 Sermon)
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "Your Response to Christmas" (Matthew 2:1-12 Sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Purpose of God's Blessings" (Psalm 67 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "The Fruit of Repentance" (Matt. 3:4-10 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- I Peter sermons
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)