Today we began our work in India in earnest. We divided into two teams to go into two schools and share a Bible story. Our team consisted of Clarity Thoreson, who was to tell the story, Bro. James, and myself. We went to a brand new school the church is starting in Tigri. Classes are not even formally meeting yet, but they have gathered about 60 children from the community each day. We went into the building complex, which was in a state of disrepair, but had basically been given to the church. They introduced us, then sent the kids out to get friends. I counted about 100 total kids and adults there today.
Clarity began with her story, of Creation and the Fall from Genesis, and the promise of a Savior, concluding with a brief presentation of the gospel. She did a great job — especially for speaking through an interpreter for the first time. The kids were very attentive. Clarity thought perhaps they were not, but she is used to the discipline of an American classroom. They were more attentive than what I was going to experience in just a moment!
While I was watching Clarity share, I thought: I sure I wish I could tell them a story — and the old song, “Tell Me The Story of Jesus” came to mind, and I got chills! A few moments later, they asked if she had another story, and Clarity had not prepared another one. I almost ran over Bro. James to volunteer!
First we moved outside, since there were so many now, and I got up on a little concrete box to speak. I just took it from the promise of the Savior and told the story of Jesus — being sure to include how He was born in humble surroundings, and announced His birth to the poor, because He loves them. I told how He told His disciples to let the children come to Him, for He loves children like them! And I shared how He died on the cross for our sins, and rose again, and gave His disciples the Commission to share the good news with the world — and that I hoped that they too would become followers of Jesus. What a great privilege, and a marvelous experience!
Clarity then played her flute, and taught the kids the song, “Jesus Loves Me”. By now it was time for them to eat a late lunch, and we left.
After eating at an Indian restaurant, Sanjay took us to prayer walk at Chatturpur Temple, where we prayed against the work of the enemy. I spent no small amount of time quoting Philippians 2 and singing, “All Hail The Power Of Jesus’ Name”! I love to do that in those houses of idols!
Now back to the hotel for debriefing and a prayer time. We are all quite tired. One team member fell asleep during the prayer time just now; I won’t mention his name but he has red hair and fixes cars … I said he was just praying a little longer than the rest of us!
Really it was a wonderful day — and gave us a great vision of some ways that more of us can be involved in India in the future. I think I know some guys at FBCMB who could fix up that school a bit! And we can connect with some teaching/classes too!
Today is done, but as Dr. Suess said, “Tomorrow is another one!” I will be preaching two evangelistic meetings, one at Aili Village at 11:00, and another at Gautama Puri at 6:00. Please continue to pray for our whole group — there are some cautions, as there is opposition here; more on that later — and please pray mightily for me as I get the great privilege of “Telling The Story Of Jesus” again!
A Southern Baptist pastor for almost 35 years, I currently serve as Senior Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Angleton, Texas, and post my weekly sermons on this site, as well as a brief overview for Sunday School teachers of the weekly Lifeway "Explore the Bible" lesson.
Top Posts & Pages
- Teacher's Overview: Lifeway "Explore the Bible" lesson of John 8:3-18, "I Am The Light"
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- "Discovering First Baptist Angleton": Session #4 The Nuts & Bolts"
- "Ambassadors For Christ" (II Corinthians 5:20 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "Glorifying God as Salt & Light" (Matthew 5:13-16 sermon)
- Teacher's Overview: Lifeway "Explore the Bible" John 7:14-29
- "The Greatest Verse in the Bible?" (John 3:16 sermon)
- "The Purpose of God's Blessings" (Psalm 67 sermon)
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Beatitudes Series 2020 FBCA
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- COVID-19 crisis assorted messages
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Discovering FBCA Membership class lessons
- Explore the Bible SS lesson overviews
- Explore the Bible Sunday School lessons
- Home & Family Life
- I Peter sermons
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Luke 10:38-42 Mary & Martha series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- The Model Prayer series (FBCA 2020)
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)