I wrote the much of the following message during the summer of 2012, when I was on medical leave as pastor of FBC Moss Bluff, LA with dyautonomia (POTS). I would later resign the church in February of 2013, selling our home and many of our possessions, facing what was humanly speaking an uncertain future. Little did we know that the Lord would completely restore my health that summer, and that He would indeed be “the lifter of my head.” But throughout the past 18 months, this message — and most importantly, the promise of the Lord behind it — has been an anchor for my soul. I have had the opportunity to share it in several churches in Oklahoma, including our current home church, Trinity Baptist of Norman, where this message was recorded. I hope that the Lord will use it to minister to you, and to others you may know who are walking through difficult days.
I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- "This Is My Story: The Philippian Jailer" (Acts 16:25-34 sermon)
- "Ministering to the Multitude" (Mark 6:34-44)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “Come Away ... And Rest” (Mark 6:30-32 sermon)
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Man Born Blind" (John 9 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)