Whenever you see something repeated in the Bible, you know it is important. If you see it used THREE times, it is of utmost importance. That is why I perked up when I read the opening verses of Psalm 33 again. NOTICE: the THREE-FOLD emphasis on singing:
:1 “SING for joy in the Lord”
:2 “SING praises to Him with a harp of 10 strings”
:3 “SING to Him a new song”
— This 3-fold emphasis tells us that singing is VERY important in the worship of God.
— Notice also the different slant on singing in worship that each of these verses gives:
Our singing is to be “TO HIM” (:2); i.e. we are not singing for each other’s benefit; GOD is the Audience!
Our singing is to be “for joy” (:1) — no drab ritual here!
We are to sing with instruments (:2) — that is not unscriptural!
We are also commanded (notice it is a command!) to sing new songs (:3) — as we have seen before, we sing new songs reflecting the fact that God continues to do new things for us, which we celebrate with songs which reflect our recent deliverances. Also we can never fully capture His glory with the songs we currently have; thus we should always be writing and singing more new songs! We could do this for all eternity, and still never fully exhaust His glories!
So as we head off to worship today, let’s do it with Psalm 33:1-3 in mind, and go to “SING, SING, SING!”
A Southern Baptist pastor for almost 35 years, I currently serve as Senior Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Angleton, Texas, and post my weekly sermons here. I am grateful to see these messages read in countries around the world, and pray that God will use His word to help individuals to walk with Him daily, and churches to glorify Him with their worship and obedience.
Top Posts & Pages
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "Don't Be A Hypocrite!" (Matthew 6:1+ sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- "The Example of Joseph" (Matthew 1:18-25 sermon)
- “Four Ways To Worship God” (Psalm 9:1-2 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- I Peter sermons
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)