Whenever you see something repeated in the Bible, you know it is important. If you see it used THREE times, it is of utmost importance. That is why I perked up when I read the opening verses of Psalm 33 again. NOTICE: the THREE-FOLD emphasis on singing:
:1 “SING for joy in the Lord”
:2 “SING praises to Him with a harp of 10 strings”
:3 “SING to Him a new song”
— This 3-fold emphasis tells us that singing is VERY important in the worship of God.
— Notice also the different slant on singing in worship that each of these verses gives:
Our singing is to be “TO HIM” (:2); i.e. we are not singing for each other’s benefit; GOD is the Audience!
Our singing is to be “for joy” (:1) — no drab ritual here!
We are to sing with instruments (:2) — that is not unscriptural!
We are also commanded (notice it is a command!) to sing new songs (:3) — as we have seen before, we sing new songs reflecting the fact that God continues to do new things for us, which we celebrate with songs which reflect our recent deliverances. Also we can never fully capture His glory with the songs we currently have; thus we should always be writing and singing more new songs! We could do this for all eternity, and still never fully exhaust His glories!
So as we head off to worship today, let’s do it with Psalm 33:1-3 in mind, and go to “SING, SING, SING!”
I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Philippian Jailer" (Acts 16:25-34 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- "Ambassadors For Christ" (II Corinthians 5:20 sermon)
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- “In The Beginning, God” (Genesis 1:1 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- I Peter sermons
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)