I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Not Our Faithfulness
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Purpose of God's Blessings" (Psalm 67 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Other Side Of Love
- God Doesn't "Owe" You Anything!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: singing
From the remotest jungle in Africa or the Amazon, to the most isolated island in the Pacific, every culture that has ever been discovered has worshiped. They have never found a civilization in which the people didn’t worship someone or … Continue reading
“Beware!” If you are out driving, and you come across a sign in the road that says “Beware!”, you are going to pay attention, and proceed very carefully, aren’t you? And you should. You know there is something dangerous ahead, … Continue reading
“I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders. I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.” (Psalm 9:1-2) Psalm 9 … Continue reading
(Preached at Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church, 5-10-15) I attended a men’s retreat last year and I had the opportunity to talk to a man who shared with me that when he was a young Christian, he was challenged to spend … Continue reading
We find an obscure but telling episode in II Kings 3, where Elisha is going to prophesy to the kings. In verse 15 he says: “‘But now bring me a minstrel.’ And it came about, when the minstrel played, that … Continue reading
Psalm 105:2 instructs us: “Sing to Him; sing praises to Him.” Notice some things about this verse which instruct us regarding our worship of God:
Psalm 98 is a Psalm of praise, and verses 4-6 specifically give us several insights on how we are to praise God: