I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "The Discipline of Fellowship" (Hebrews 10:23-25 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Delight Yourself in the Lord
- “He Loved ME”!
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: maturity
“You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.” (John 15:3) When many of us think of “pruning” happening in our lives as Christians, we may immediately of trials that God allows — and they … Continue reading
Cheryl & I had to laugh three years ago, as we watched our son-in-law (who is probably about as mechanically inclined as I am, which isn’t saying very much!) try to put together a baby swing in the living room … Continue reading
“We look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (II Corinthians 4:18) The Apostle Paul … Continue reading
Scripture records two responses of Job to God’s appearance to him in the whirlwind. After God first spoke, Job answers in 40:3-5. But God was not finished. He continued to ask Job questions and reveal His glory through His creation, … Continue reading
II Timothy 2:23 admonishes: “But refuse foolish and ignorant speculations, knowing that they produce quarrels.” Then :24 begins “The Lord’s bondservant must not be quarrelsome …”. This verse commands God’s servants not to even get into “foolish” and “ignorant” discussions … Continue reading