I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "The Discipline of Fellowship" (Hebrews 10:23-25 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “He Loved ME”!
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Discipline of the Word" (I Peter 2:1-3 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: prayer
“Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.” (Psalm 95:2) It is not unusual to hear a worship leader ask the Lord to come and be with us, or some such similar … Continue reading
I loved our Children’s Ministry Bible presentation last week, and I especially appreciated how Dr. Amanda mentioned that she is teaching our kids the importance of CONTEXT in scripture. It’s hard to overstate the importance of that in Bible interpretation. … Continue reading
I have heard several people this week say that they are looking forward to the cooler weather that is coming in at the end of the week, and fall — and Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of … Continue reading
“Jesus said to them, ‘Come and have breakfast.’” (John 21:12) What an amazing morning the disciples had, after that long night of catching nothing, getting to eat breakfast with Jesus! The passage says that Jesus “took the bread and gave … Continue reading
In Matthew 6:9-13, Jesus gave His disciples the Model Prayer, which provides at least 6 “agenda topics” that God wants us to address with Him when we pray (see message here). But Jesus didn’t just commend a model to us; … Continue reading
One of the outstanding characteristics of the High Priestly Prayer of Jesus in John 17 is the repetition of His prayers for the unity of His people. At least FOUR TIMES in His intercession He asks the Father to make … Continue reading