I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Not Our Faithfulness
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Purpose of God's Blessings" (Psalm 67 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Other Side Of Love
- God Doesn't "Owe" You Anything!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: daily Bible reading
My wife Cheryl & I will have been married for 35 years on May 28th. (She has already informed me that we are not going to be here that Sunday — so I am informing you! 🙂 As you can … Continue reading
(Preached 4-26-15, Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church, Morganton, NC) For years before his death in 2013, Pat Summerall broadcast NFL games and other sporting events on television. Many of you would recognize his voice to this day. Some of you also … Continue reading
Proverbs 16:20 “He who gives attention to the word shall find good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.” This verse challenges us in several ways regarding our daily devotional time in God’s word: — First of all, … Continue reading
Last Thursday I shared some insights from Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Life Together, for the National Day of Prayer. The same book contain several helps for our daily time in God’s word. In Life Together he uses the term “meditation,” but he is … Continue reading