I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Closer to Sodom or Heaven?
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- So They Say You’re “Judging”?
- "Your Response to Christmas" (Matthew 2:1-12 Sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "Pressing On To Know the Lord" (Hosea 6:3 sermon)
- "Are You A Disciple?" (Luke 9:23 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: Bible Reading
A few weeks ago, we celebrated the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation which Martin Luther initiated when he questioned the unbiblical teachings of the church of his day. Emory University in Atlanta actually has a big collection of Lutheran … Continue reading
“Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?” (Galatians 3:3) Writing to the legalistic Galatians, Paul was reminding them that they were not saved by works of “the flesh” — good … Continue reading
“Jesus said to them, ‘Come and have breakfast.’” (John 21:12) What an amazing morning the disciples had, after that long night of catching nothing, getting to eat breakfast with Jesus! The passage says that Jesus “took the bread and gave … Continue reading
I have never in my lifetime seen the kind of vindictiveness expressed towards a president as we have seen evidenced towards President Trump: the hatred, lack of submission, people saying “He’s not my President”, etc. I was not a big … Continue reading
My wife Cheryl & I will have been married for 35 years on May 28th. (She has already informed me that we are not going to be here that Sunday — so I am informing you! 🙂 As you can … Continue reading