I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Your Daily Time With God" (Mark 1:35 sermon)
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "Your Best Investment" (Matthew 6:19-24 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "Are You A Disciple?" (Luke 9:23 sermon)
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- "The Importance of Forgiving Others" (Matthew 6:14-15 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Poem: "I Walked A Mile With Pleasure"
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: redemption
What an amazing picture we find in Leviticus 14, where the Bible describes the ceremony for the cleansing of a leper: two birds are ordered to be brought the tabernacle for the ceremony: one is sacrificed, but the other the … Continue reading
Some books have such famous opening lines that many people can name them just from hearing the first words of the book. See if you can name some of these books from their first lines: — “It was the best … Continue reading
When our son Michael was a little boy, he was VERY plain-spoken; he would just say whatever was on his mind. Thankfully he has grown out of that (somewhat!) as he has matured, but when he was little he just … Continue reading
(Palm Sunday/Lord’s Supper service 3-20-16) If you want to make my wife Cheryl groan, just mention the Book of Job. I think she feels like we lived through that book for about two years as a family, and indeed Job … Continue reading