I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Your Daily Time With God" (Mark 1:35 sermon)
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "Your Best Investment" (Matthew 6:19-24 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "Are You A Disciple?" (Luke 9:23 sermon)
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- "The Importance of Forgiving Others" (Matthew 6:14-15 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Poem: "I Walked A Mile With Pleasure"
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: Messiah
One of our family’s favorite movies, especially when our kids were at home, was “The Princess Bride.” Many of its lines were quoted at home in our daily conversations — and still are, on our family Facebook chat group. Of … Continue reading
“The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, ‘Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.’” (John 1:29) John the Baptist’s description of Jesus to his disciples and the crowd at the … Continue reading
“Behold, My Servant, Whom I uphold; My Chosen One in Whom My soul delights.” (Isaiah 42:1) It is significant that God calls His Servant here “My chosen one IN WHOM MY SOUL DELIGHTS.” The “Servant” which is mentioned several times … Continue reading
Was Jesus Christ the Son of God, or man? The answer of traditional orthodox Christianity is: BOTH! The witness of the scriptures affirms this truth. One of these scriptures is Romans 1:3-4, “Who was born a descendant of David according … Continue reading