I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "The Discipline of Fellowship" (Hebrews 10:23-25 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “He Loved ME”!
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Discipline of the Word" (I Peter 2:1-3 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: gospel
“But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed.” (Galatians 1:8) In our era of “what’s true for me may not … Continue reading
When our kids were little, I started listening to a CD with the greatest hits of the British comic operas of Gilbert & Sullivan. These operas were written in the late 1800’s, and they poke fun at all kinds of … Continue reading
“For they went out for the sake of the Name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles.” (III John 7) Here in an often overlooked letter, we find a little verse which succinctly defines and prescribes the work of the missionary and … Continue reading
(Preached at Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church, Morganton, NC, 9-11-16) In 1991 Cheryl & I moved to Beggs, Oklahoma, into the parsonage of the First Baptist Church there. What was at that time the parsonage sat on the top of a … Continue reading
Samuel Rutherford was a pastor in Anwoth, Scotland in the 1600’s, when the English government changed, and demanded that all ministers use the government prescribed prayer book, and submit to the rites and ordinances of the Anglican church, instead of … Continue reading