I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- “He Loved ME”!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- “Comforting the Afflicted & Afflicting the Comfortable” James 1:9-11
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- Prayer For A Backslider
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: understanding
When our kids were little, I started listening to a CD with the greatest hits of the British comic operas of Gilbert & Sullivan. These operas were written in the late 1800’s, and they poke fun at all kinds of … Continue reading
“Jesus answered and said to him, ‘What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter.’” (John 13:7) Of how many things that happen to us are these words true: “What I do you do not realize now, … Continue reading
One of the striking testimonies that came out of the Oklahoma City bombing a few years ago involved a man who was sitting in his Murrah Building office thinking, “I wonder what God is going to have to do to … Continue reading
Proverbs 18:2 says: “A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own heart.” This verse reveals a fundamental problem: many people do not seek to understand others in their conversations with them. On the contrary, they … Continue reading
It is presidential campaign season, and as you probably know, it has already gotten pretty ugly. Candidates always look for some flaw or weakness to exploit in their opponents – and of course they never fail to find something! We … Continue reading