I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Culture-blind" -- or Cowardly?
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "The Discipline of Fellowship" (Hebrews 10:23-25 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- "Four Surprising Signs of Wickedness" (Psalm 10:3-11 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: Great Commandment
Not everyone pictures a relationship with a Heavenly Father as being good. I just finished reading a biography of Charles Lindbergh, the first man to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. We aren’t as familiar with him today, but he was … Continue reading
When our kids were little, I started listening to a CD with the greatest hits of the British comic operas of Gilbert & Sullivan. These operas were written in the late 1800’s, and they poke fun at all kinds of … Continue reading
“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:40) It’s not complicated. God’s basic will for your life as a whole, and for every day, is actually fairly simple. In Matthew 22 Jesus said “the whole … Continue reading
II Samuel 12 relates how Nathan the prophet boldly confronted King David after his adultery with Bathsheba. In :10 he tells the king: “Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have … Continue reading
Psalm 10 speaks of “The wicked” in :3. But when many of us think of “the wicked” we often picture some REALLY bad people, not anyone like US! But some might be surprised at what :4 says about the wicked: … Continue reading