I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "The Discipline of Fellowship" (Hebrews 10:23-25 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “He Loved ME”!
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "The Discipline of the Word" (I Peter 2:1-3 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: Christian life
“‘… and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?’ She said to Him, ‘Yes, Lord, I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the … Continue reading
“For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are walking in truth.” (III John 3) Evidently some “brethren” left the presence of the church that John was addressing here, and brought … Continue reading
“And He appointed twelve, so that they would be with Him and that He could send them out to preach” (Mark 3:14) When Jesus appointed His 12 Apostles in Mark 3, the Bible says He had two specific purposes in … Continue reading
Things were going great for Nehemiah; he had told the king about how Jerusalem was in ruins, had prayed and made his request, and the king granted him all that he wanted. Then Nehemiah headed towards the holy city, accompanied … Continue reading
You might not think that just “putting up” with someone was a very godly thing to do — but it is actually the literal translation of a Bible word in Colossians 3:13. The New American Standard translates it “bearing with … Continue reading
Hebrews 12:1 exhorts us: “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that … Continue reading