I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Philippian Jailer" (Acts 16:25-34 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Woman At The Well" (John 4:1-42 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character: Meekness" (Matthew 5:5 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life (Philippians 2:17 sermon update)
- “What Tested Faith Looks Like” (James 1:2-4)
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: darkness
For Mothers Day we got some things for Cheryl for the garden. She loves to garden outside — and I love to go out and walk through the garden with her for 5 minutes before I go inside to read! … Continue reading
“This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.” (I John 1:5) John could not be more clear in what he asserts here, … Continue reading
Several years ago, some students at Southwestern Baptist Seminary were talking before the start of class, one of them started telling a joke that involved a story about hell. Just then, the professor walked in, and he said, “Men, I … Continue reading
In Psalm 18:28 David says, “For You light my lamp; the LORD my God illumines my darkness.” That God would “illumine (his) darkness” could mean something different than we might initially think.