I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Not Our Faithfulness
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "The Purpose of God's Blessings" (Psalm 67 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Other Side Of Love
- God Doesn't "Owe" You Anything!
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: prosperity gospel
“Abraham called the name of that place The Lord Will Provide, as it is said to this day, ‘In the mount of the Lord it will be provided.’’ (Genesis 22:14) ”The Lord will provide” Abraham said. In Hebrew this is … Continue reading
“Now the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, while he was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day.” (Genesis 18:1) So Abraham literally lived in a “tent.” When angel asked him in :9, … Continue reading
“Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.” (III John 2) Controversy surrounds this little verse, as proponents of the prosperity gospel attempt to use it to promote … Continue reading
“Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.” (III John 2) From John’s prayer here which opens his third letter, it is evidently not WRONG to pray for … Continue reading
In London, England there is a 70-foot high red granite obelisk called “Cleopatra’s Needle” that stands beside the Thames River. In the 1870’s it was given to Britain by Egypt. When they moved it to England and set it up, they put a … Continue reading
“Then a scribe came and said to Him, ‘Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go.’ Jesus said to him, ‘The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to … Continue reading