I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Closer to Sodom or Heaven?
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- So They Say You’re “Judging”?
- "Your Response to Christmas" (Matthew 2:1-12 Sermon)
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "Pressing On To Know the Lord" (Hosea 6:3 sermon)
- "Are You A Disciple?" (Luke 9:23 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: stewardship
“If indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace which was given to me for you.” (Ephesians 3:2) These two little phrases are important regarding Paul’s ministry, and our own: “TO ME”/“FOR YOU.” God gave His grace “to” … Continue reading
Several years ago, one of my sisters was attending a missions banquet, and she heard that the President of our Southern Baptist International Mission Board was going to be in attendance, so she was looking forward to meeting him. She … Continue reading
(Preached at Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church, Jan. 1, 2017) A couple of years ago I read a survey of Americans which asked what they would do, if they knew the world was coming to an end soon. Two of the … Continue reading
“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.” (II Corinthians 9:8) The last phrase in this verse should cause many … Continue reading
This Thanksgiving week, many of us will sit down around a table and thank God for the blessings that He has given us this year — and we should. The Bible repeatedly commands us to give thanks to God for … Continue reading
Many pastors and other ministers in churches today are noted for their “creativity”, or for their authoritarian nature. But how does this line up with scripture? In I Corinthians 4:1, the Apostle Paul wrote: “Let a man regard us in … Continue reading