I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Living In A Tent
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- Closer to Sodom or Heaven?
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "What Real Faith Looks Like: Total Commitment" (James 1:6-8)
- "Are You A Disciple?" (Luke 9:23 sermon)
- "The Root of All Evil"
- "Your Response to Christmas" (Matthew 2:1-12 Sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: Christmas
One of my favorite parts of the Christmas program last weekend was when B.J. and Amy and Greg sang that beautiful song of the annunciation, which is right out of Luke 1:28, where the angel appeared to Mary and said: … Continue reading
There was an article in the paper a couple of years ago about the Nativity Scene in St. Albans, West Virginia. It included a picture of the scene, because it was so unusual: it had a stable, some sheep, camels … Continue reading
I have used Paul Harvey’s “The Man & The Birds” over the years as a favorite story to illustrate the meaning and necessity of the doctrine of the Incarnation, that God became Man in the Person of Jesus Christ. Following … Continue reading
We understand more about God’s gift to us at Christmas from a Hebrew word used in Psalm 22:20. There the Psalmist asks God to deliver “yachidati” from the power of the dog (the enemy). The Hebrew word “yachid” means “only … Continue reading
(Preached at FBC Pauls Valley, OK 12-21-14) They asked some kindergarteners in Great Britain about the Christmas story of the visit of the Magi, and they had some interesting insights on it: one young boy said that the three wise … Continue reading
(Preached at Mt. Home Baptist, Morganton, NC, and FBC Pauls Valley, OK, December 2014) C.S. Lewis wrote of an interesting experience that his brother had one Christmas season. He said Warnie was riding on a big English double-decker bus one … Continue reading