I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- “The Misplaced Passion of Spectator Religion” (Jonah 4 sermon)
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- “Building Your Life On The Rock” (Matthew 7:24-27 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "Our Holy God" (Isaiah 6:1-5 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: attitude
“So Peter seeing him said to Jesus, ‘Lord, and what about this man?’ Jesus said to him, ‘If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!’” (John 21:21-22) After Jesus told Peter … Continue reading
“Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, ‘It is the Lord.’” (John 21:7) Although there is some debate about just who “the disciple whom Jesus loved” might be, verse 2 of this chapter tells us that on this … Continue reading
“Then He said to Thomas, ‘Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.’” (John 20:27) The rebuke Jesus gave to Thomas … Continue reading
“How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, not sit in the seat of scoffers.” (Psalm 1:1) Psalm 1 opens with a blessing for the person … Continue reading
“Take courage, son, your sins are forgiven.” (Matthew 9:2) Someone might not think there was anything strange about the words that Jesus spoke here — except that they were spoken to a man who was paralyzed! Some people brought this … Continue reading
This Thanksgiving week, many of us will sit down around a table and thank God for the blessings that He has given us this year — and we should. The Bible repeatedly commands us to give thanks to God for … Continue reading