I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Culture-blind" -- or Cowardly?
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "The Discipline of Fellowship" (Hebrews 10:23-25 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- "Four Surprising Signs of Wickedness" (Psalm 10:3-11 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: character
Well, our family is officially a part of the “Fitbit” craze. Many of you know what I am talking about. Cheryl got me this Fitbit watch for Christmas, and it keeps track of how many steps you take every day … Continue reading
Henry Blackaby, the author of Experiencing God, one time prayed a prayer that many of us have perhaps prayed at one time or another: “Lord, make me like You.” But Blackaby shared that when he prayed those words, God directed … Continue reading
In 1994, North Korea precipitated an international crisis, when they took the rods out of their nuclear reactors, which would allow them to create nuclear weapons. Many thought we might be on the brink of war. But Jimmy Carter, years … Continue reading
Several years ago, a man and his wife were traveling on the Interstate Highway in Florida, when their car broke down. The next exit was 40 miles away, and there had been a rash of highway robberies, so no one … Continue reading
Several years ago, Chuck Norris, the actor and martial arts expert (who is also a Christian) had finished a long day of acting in a Texas town, and had gone to get dinner. While he was sitting in the restaurant, … Continue reading
Many times over the years, people have come to my office, feeling very troubled over a sin or a habit in their life. And sometimes they will say something like: “I feel so bad about that sin; I am not … Continue reading