I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Culture-blind" -- or Cowardly?
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- "The Discipline of Fellowship" (Hebrews 10:23-25 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- Reasons For Giving Thanks (Psalm 136 sermon)
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- "Four Surprising Signs of Wickedness" (Psalm 10:3-11 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: God the Son
After our morning service today, we have the opportunity to stay for soup and sandwiches, sponsored by our student ministry, to support the Hamburg, Germany mission trip that they will be going on this summer. I’m excited that a dozen … Continue reading
“Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.” (John … Continue reading
In Matthew 26, the Bible describes how just before He went to the cross, in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus prayed “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as … Continue reading
Colossians 3:6 says, “For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience.” “These things” refers to the sins which :5 mentioned immediately preceding: “immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed.” … Continue reading
Many books, sermons — or even individual Christians themselves — may be labeled as either precise in theology, or strong in their application, but it can be hard to find in any of these a balanced pairing of both. Bruce … Continue reading