I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- The Other Side Of Love
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Woman At The Well" (John 4:1-42 sermon)
- God Doesn't "Owe" You Anything!
- "Four Surprising Signs of Wickedness" (Psalm 10:3-11 sermon)
- When It's Too Late For Repentance
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: application
Although it is a relatively unknown verse, John 13:17 should actually be one of the most important in the whole Bible, because it really all comes down to this: “If you know these things, you are blessed if you do … Continue reading
“‘… and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?’ She said to Him, ‘Yes, Lord, I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the … Continue reading
“You have seen many things, but you do not observe them; your ears are open, but none hears.” (Isaiah 42:20) Addressing the people of Israel through the prophet Isaiah, God tells them that they have “seen” much in His Law, … Continue reading
Nehemiah 8:13-18 gives us a great example of how we should apply our Bible studies. Meeting together with Ezra to study the scripture, :14 says that the people of Israel “found written in the Law how the LORD had commanded … Continue reading
The scribe Ezra’s dedication to the word of God is chronicled repeatedly in Ezra Chapter 7. One such reference is found in verse 11, which describes him as “Ezra the priest, the scribe, learned in the words of the commandments … Continue reading
INTRODUCTION: Dr. David Dockery is one of the most highly-respected leaders in the SBC, and his observations should be considered with appropriate regard. In the Preface to the book, Dockery states his purpose: “I have attempted to provide a careful … Continue reading